Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

I had, perhaps, the easiest tour of war duty ever served. I'm proud I went and took my chances, but I've few illusions about the nature of war and I'm thankful I was lucky.

But every day I think about the people who are still serving. I've known quite a few who have gone. I know some who are there right now or are soon to be there. And I've attended a funeral.

My prayers go with all of them.

Sometimes you find out about someone who you never even meet but still manages to make a connection.

One such soldier is remembered here: http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian_wings/2008/05/memorial-day.html

Today's Memorial Day ceremony in Norwich featured a World War II veteran. Interestingly the gentleman was alone. It wasn't so long ago that members of the Greatest Generation thoroughly dominated the scene at Memorial Day. Now they're outnumbered by Korean War and Vietnam War veterans. And perhaps soon by veterans of Iraq.

No comments:

Slate - Encyclopedia Baracktannica